Saturday, May 12, 2018

Tomato Broth with Angel Hair Pasta

I can only begin this post with: what the literal hell happened with this recipe?

I was really excited to tackle this recipe. Anyone who knows me knows how much I hate tomatoes but over the last few years I've been determined to overcome my picky habits. Tomatoes are one of the last big things on my list. I thought making a tomato broth soup with fresh tomatoes would be a good way to segue into tomato based foods. And in theory, it was a good idea. But take a look at my "soup."



Now take a look at how it was supposed to look. 


Notice anything...off...about my batch? Yeah, me too. I'm not really sure what went wrong. I have a very thorough recipe reading process. I read through all the directions when I select the recipe for my meal plan. Then, I sit down and read through all the directions again before I cooking. And then I consult the recipe as I cook. And to be honest, it's a really simple recipe. There should have been no room for screw ups. But alas, as you can see, there was. My soup just ended up being a pasta dish with a thin tomato sauce. 

I got the recipe from one of the cookbooks I've acquired over the years. It's called Pasta: 100 Everyday Recipes. Judging by how hard it was to find a link on Amazon I think it's fair to say it's not a popular cook book. And maybe it's because the recipes don't always yield correct results? 

Anyway, for the review. If I were reviewing solely on flavor profile it would a straight 5 Wooden Spoons. Even botched it still tasted delicious! Dear Husband even went back for seconds. But I also have to review how much the recipe actually worked. And, as you can see above, my results were nothing like to book. Nothing like soup. Even my broth, before the pasta was added, was nowhere near as red or thick as the pictured broth. So, in total, this recipe is probably worth 2 Wooden Spoons. 

That said, I'd like to keep tinkering around with the recipe and figure out how to get my Tomato Broth with Angel Hair Pasta to look exactly like the pictured version (not too hard, I imagine. Double the broth and keep the pasta amount the same). I did like the flavors so I'd like to add this to my recipe box eventually. But until I get it worked out, it doesn't make the box. 

So, the breakdown of this recipe. Total cost of the meal: $7.16. Total cost per serving (serves four): $1.79. I'm actually surprised it came out so cheap. One of the ingredients called for is saffron and, if you've never purchased saffron before, it's terribly expensive! The cheapest saffron at my grocery store was $12.99 for a bottle that contains maybe a tablespoon of saffron threads. Holy cow. Anyway, total calorie count per serving: 364. This meal is fully vegetarian, and if you use a vegan friendly pasta, there is no reason this can't be vegan too. 

I'll chalk this one up to experience. Until next time, my friend. Much love, Hailee

No comments:

Post a Comment