Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Catch Up

I'm three days behind on my posts. I've been in a slump. Probably pregnancy related. All I want to do it lay on the couch, watch Netflix, and eat chocolate cake. I still cooked but I just couldn't bring myself to blog about if after. I know these posts take just moments to read but there's a lot that goes into the writing of each one. In fact, after working on this blog for the last few weeks, I really have to give mad props to food bloggers. I can't imagine the work that goes into creating new recipes, photographing the entire process, and writing step by step directions so that even the most novice cook can follow along. My recipe cards are written in my own cooking shorthand so if you're not an experienced cook whole steps that I just know to do are left out of the instructions. Anyway, I digress...

So, we'll start with Monday. As Mondays are typically FHE nights for Mormons I wanted to make some kind of yummy dessert for Kyle and I with the hopes it would serve as motivation to actually have FHE (it didn't...). When I was doing the menu plan I was craving something super chocolaty and so a recipe called Death By Chocolate Bundt Cake totally called my name.


And this Death By Chocolate Bundt Cake recipe can be found at Live Craft Eat. Now, when I clicked into the recipe to get the ingredients there was an initial sense of disappointment when I saw that it used a cake mix rather than an actual cake recipe, but I decided to try it anyway. And it was good. But, at the end of the day it was still a boxed cake. The addition of a pudding mix, sour cream, and chocolate chips gives it a density that the basic boxed mix doesn't have but it doesn't really boost the flavors that much. So if you like boxed cake, this isn't a bad recipe and it does improve the mix a bit. But because I've been doing so much from-scratch baking I felt a bit let down. Dear Husband, who isn't as selective with his tastes as me, loved it. 3 Wooden Spoons.

Oh, the breakdown, before I forget. The total cake cost $7.00 to make, and breaking it down into eight servings, it worked out to be $0.88 per serving. I didn't run the actual numbers on a homemade version but I suspect it would be cheaper to make. And like all good chocolate desserts, the calorie count is insane. 651 calories per serving. Definitely indulgent.

So, on to Tuesday.


I was cravin' Asian. So I made this Quick and Easy Chinese Noodle Soup from Erren's Kitchen with a side of Crispy Roasted Sugar Snap Peas from Cooking with K. I thoroughly enjoyed both of these recipes. I used more noodles than called for in the recipe, mostly because I was too lazy to pull out my food scale and weigh out four ounces, but come on...is there really such thing as too many noodles? Both recipes were super easy to follow and quick to make. I just love easy nights. Both have earned 5 Wooden Spoons. Oh, and to note, you can easily make this vegetarian by subbing out the chicken broth for vegetable broth and you make it vegan by using vegan friendly noodles.

Remember above when I said I was in a slump? Yeah, I didn't do the breakdown for this recipe but I'm hoping to get it done tomorrow as I have no cooking plans tomorrow. I can't imagine these two would be expensive or calorie dense. But we'll see. Keep you eye out if you're interested in that.

Now, today, Wednesday!


Today's new recipe were Baked Parmesan Zucchini. It was paired with my family's recipe for Lasagna, but since that's a recipe I've already been making for ages, it's not part of this blogging project. If you do want the lasagna recipe, hit me up, I'll be sure to give you a copy.

Anyway, these Zucchini sticks...I thought they were quite yummy. I think mine would need some extra time in the oven next time to get them a bit softer. And mine needed more salt and pepper, but that was on me for not using enough. Dear Husband wasn't as enthusiastic about them as me, but again, he's not a fan of vegetables. Oh, they come from Chungah at Damn Delicious. I'll go ahead and give you a heads up that I love so many recipes from Damn Delicious so it's going to be featured a lot. It's one of the few food blogs I know by name. So, with that in mind, it should be no surprise that this recipe gets a solid 5 Wooden Spoons. These would not only make a great side dish but would also make a nice, healthy appetizer.

And again, expect the breakdown tomorrow.

Anyway, phew, we're all caught up. Mostly. I'll get a crackin' on the breakdowns and post them tomorrow. I usually enjoy writing up the breakdowns as I'm always kind of blown away how cheap homemade food works out to be. I don't always *love* doing the calorie count, though. Hahaha. Anyway, please keep me up to date with your own cooking adventures, dear friends. Much love, Hailee

No comments:

Post a Comment